Makita power drill features:
Trigger = Pull to operate drill
Chuck = Jaws that loosen/tighten to hold bit in place
Sleeve = Twist to open/close chuck
Reversing Switch = Controls direction of drill. Forward-Off-Backward
Adjusting Ring = Controls drill torque (#1-18) and set to load/unload bits
Speed switch = Controls drill speed. 1 Low 2 High
Loading a drill bit:
- Select 1 Low or 2 High on top of the drill. Most of the drill jobs in Design Lab will use 1 Low.
- Turn the adjustment ring to select a number (1-18) of torque. In general, numbers in the middle of this range (4-10) are best for drilling into wood/cardboard.
- Make sure the reversing switch is set to drill in the correct direction. Except for drilling very thick material, the reversing switch should be set to Forward.
- Squeeze the trigger.
Unloading a drill bit:
- Put the reversing switch in the middle (OFF position) so the drill cannot turn ON while you are holding bit.
- Turn the adjusting ring to the drill bit picture (see pic above)
- Twist the sleeve clockwise to open the jaws
- Take out drill bit. Return bit to box
Drill Safety (DO and DON'T)